Radial Spillway/Tainter Gates
Most commonly used on the spillway of large dams for controlling the top water level. Can also used as a means of controlling water levels in channels. The normal method of operation is by mechanical hoist or hydraulic cylinders.
- Quick operation as they move in an arc.
- The entire water load is transferred radially through the arms to the pivots which reduces hoist capacity compared to a Wheel Gate.
- Gate bottom lip gives good hydraulic discharge profile.
- Hydraulic cylinder or rope hoist options.
- Flush side and sill sealing faces.
- Crest or culvert type.
- Gate aesthetics, visible when raised.
- Civil loads concentrated on piers.
- Long piers.